HOW HYDRO ENERGY WORKS
Hydro energy is generated using the power of moving water in our Earth’s rivers and oceans.
A dam blocks water from moving where it wants to naturally
Instead, the water flows through a pipe to a turbine, then back out on the other side of the dam
Turbines spin by force of water and rotate a generator
Generator produces electricity and sends to power lines, bringing electricity to homes and businesses
FUN HYDRO FACTS
- The word hydropower comes from the Greek word hydro (water)
- Hydropower is one of the oldest sources of energy, used to grind grain by the Ancient Egyptians as early as 250 B.C.
- Hydropower can be captured from many different forms of water, including river currents, river dams, ocean waves, and ocean tides.
- Hydropower is the least expensive renewable energy source in the United States.
- Canada is the largest producer of hydropower in the world .